Friday, October 16, 2009

Under the 5th

Under the 5th amendment my property, my personal testimony, and my right to have a jury present is protected. Nor can I be subject to loss of life liberty or property. As an American citizen, I value this amendment.

In other countries around the world, people may be held imprisoned, tortured, even murdered for crimes they may or may not have committed. With having the statement that no one can be punished for a criminal offense without a grand jury, I am protected.

It is common now to watch a tv shoe where someone is on trial in which they plead the 5th. This is not something that only people on tv are capable of doing. If one finds themselves in a cross examination on trial, in order to not convict themselves, they must be careful with what they say. The cross examiner is looking for you to slip up and bear witness on yourself. You have the right to not be a witness against yourself, only under our 5th amendment.

One of the bigger fighting issues is the just compensation issue. If a government run organization wants to utilize your property for any sort of public us, be it public building, highway or road, or public entertainment/recreation facility, you must be compensated for that which you have given up. The standard of compensation is the fair market value of the property at hand. If we were in many other countries, the government may be able to just walk in, kick me out and take over my house for any other purpose and I am very thankful that our government cannot do that.

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com